Dan Adelman, a nine-year employee at Nintendo responsible for running their indie program, has officially announced on Twitter (seen below) that he is no longer working for the company. The news follows an incident last year involving Adelman showing sympathy towards players frustrated by the company’s region-locking policies via Twitter. Adelman later told Kotaku that Nintendo banned him from using the social media platform since his message contradicted the company’s strict stance on the issue.
Happy to announce I reached an arrangement w/ @NintendoAmerica whereby I can tweet again. Arrangement includes my not working there anymore.
— Dan Adelman (@Dan_Adelman) August 4, 2014
In an interview with Kotaku, Adelman further explained some of the events that heightened the tension between himself and the company. This included his comment in an interview regarding a possible port of The Binding of Issac for the 3DS; a project which was turned down by Nintendo since it violated their guidelines on religious content. Adelman said the company needed to be “a bit more flexible” about such policies. His region locking tweet mentioned above came about a week later.
“I had been strongly encouraged to stay off of Twitter—or at least say only things that were clearly safe—so after the region-locking comment they just said I needed to stop completely,” Adelman said.
Despite him leaving, Adelman expressed he feels the fate of Nintendo’s indie program is “in good hands” since he was never the only one running the program.
“Before leaving, I put together a list of people I thought would be good candidates for the job and would be happy to provide any input they want. Having the right person in that role will be critical for the long-term health of the business,” said Adelman.
It is not yet known what official job title Adelman will have next (and at what company), but he has expressed interest in staying within the indie game industry and reaching out to various developers.